Monday, November 23, 2009
NSU Pt.1 of 3
These next series of blogs will be dedicated to Norfolk State University the people, the institution and the attitudes of both. Since I've been a student here I've heard more negative comments from the people who make up the university than good about the University that they play a part in creating. What I expected from a HBCU community is totally different than what I got in my years here. I was expecting to submerged with black culture and the triumphs of my people through education and cultural experiences on campus. Then on second thought maybe I got what I expected. A school with young black people not yet educated on the world as a whole but their world and where they came from and brought their language, values , and other cultural aspects to one place. Still I expected more sometimes from the students and often times from the professors classroom. But when neither side is pushing the other there is no progress. All I ask for is more from this university not for myself but for the future. From the students who make this school what it is bring something to the table because often times in class I think to myself "nobody could be this unknowing of common things"such as politics, current events, and history. I guess in different cultures nothing is common and we all bring something different to the table.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment